Application to apply to the university  Admission criteria and procedures

Regardless of whether you want to stay in Germany or not, studying at a German university opens up many opportunities for your future career. First of all, it must be said that studying in Germany is not easy, as students must fulfill some conditions and observe many deadlines and rules related to the conditions of application. Here you can find out if you are allowed and what you are allowed to study in Germany, as well as information on how to apply for a place to study and whether you can continue your studies abroad.

Who can study in Germany?

Permission to study in Germany depends on several factors.


A university entrance qualification is a high school diploma or equivalent. If you qualify to start higher education from outside Germany, you must first check whether this certificate is recognized in Germany, and to find out, you can inquire at the International Office or the Student Secretariat at the relevant university. Also via the Anapin database. Datenbank anabin Via the DAAD admission databaseZulassungsdatenbank des DAADIt can be checked in advance whether the certificate is recognized in Germany, and what study or specialization is appropriate for the certificate. If the registration database does not recognize the certificate, it is useful to inquire directly from the relevant university. Also, if the person has not specified the university in which he wants to study, the certificate can be recognized at the recognition office located in each state.staatlichen AnerkennungsstelleUsually, this costs some money.

If the school certificate is not enough to complete the study in Germany, a so-called university fellowship can be attended the so-called preparatory year StudienkollegOr do something called an assessment test.FeststellungsprüfungThe university fellowship helps prepare for study at the university, during which the German language can be completed. It is useful to decide in advance what subjects or subjects one wants to study. The course usually lasts for a year and ends with an assessment test. After passing this test, You can enter the university and start studying the pre-selected subjects. To participate in the university fellowship, you must pass the entrance exam and speak German at least at levelB1. At some universities, it is possible to take the assessment test ("Feststellungsprüfung") without taking part in the university fellowship period. Undergraduate fellowships available in each region can be found on the. In some cases, it is possible to apply directly to the university fellowship, and in other times the application must be submitted through


Note: If a person has completed recognized vocational training in Germany and worked for several years in his profession, he may also be able to study in Germany without having a university entrance qualification (high school diploma or equivalent). Advice on this can be obtained at the International Office. Akademischen Auslandsamt” or from the Student Secretariat of the relevant university. You can also contact the Central Office for Foreign EducationZentralstelle für ausländisches Bildungswesen (ZAB).


Apart from some study programs that do not require knowledge of the German language, knowledge of German is at standardC1 or higher may be a prerequisite to study at various German universities. As a rule, language skills can be demonstrated through a certificate Telc Deutsch C1 HochschuleorGoethe-Zertifikat C2or an examDSHor testTestDaFThe required language certificate for each specialization can be found in the international office of the relevant university. Exams are usually held several times a year, the cost depends on the organization and province in which the exams are conducted. Suitable language courses can be found atDatabaseDAAD and inVolkshochschuleand on the website of the Goethe-Institut or in private schools. You can read more about learning German in the "Language" section.

Note: If the person is not in Germany yet and wants to study in Germany, he will need a student residence permit. You can read more about this in the section "Immigration to Germany". Those who have fled their country to Germany can apply for a study seat regardless of their status or type of residence. Even people who are still in the asylum procedure period or have tolerated staying” Duldung" can study in Germany.


Is it possible to choose a specific study and start it? What does the term? mean? Numerus Clausus?


In Germany, a distinction is made between study programs that are restricted or have limited vacanciesZulassungsbeschränkten Fächer, unrestricted or unlimited study programs Vacancies Zulassungsfreien Fächer. In unrestricted university studies, there are sufficient study seats for all applicants. In the restricted programs, the number of applicants is greater than the number of places available at the university, for this reason, students must submit a separate application for these studies.


In restricted university studies, a distinction is made between local programs - that is, universities in a specific state - and study programs that cover all German states at the country level. The study programs or restricted majors across the country are: (human medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, and veterinary medicine). You can find out if your undergraduate study program or major is subject to admission restrictions or not, on the university home page or directly at the university's student secretariat office.


It is worth noting that about 40% of all current undergraduate studies are not restricted in number, and in number-restricted studies, places are awarded according to the clause criteria. Numerous Clauses, written by the acronym NC, come from Latin and means “limited number.” In number-restricted studies, the degree of a high school diploma or its equivalent, as well as waiting time, plays a major role in the selection. In addition, universities can choose Suitable applicants through interviews or TestAs results.


Is having health insurance a requirement to study in Germany?

Yes, without health insurance, it is not possible to study in Germany. As students, we can choose between private or state health insurance companies, but insurance at state insurance companies is usually cheaper. If we are insured in the private sector, we cannot return to state insurance. In Germany, international health insurance can be recognized under certain conditions.


If we have health insurance from a state insurance institution, we can simply submit our certificate of insurance to the university for registration. If you have private or foreign health insurance, we must first submit this certificate to the German health insurance company. They can then certify in a document that you are exempt from the insurance obligation. Then we can submit the certificate to the university.

What other things should be taken into account for international students?

To obtain university admission, some universities require participation in what is called an examTestAs, which is a test for foreign students. In this exam, it is checked whether a person is qualified to enter a particular field of study or not. In this exam, people's knowledge of a specific field of knowledge is not tested, but rather the applicants' intellectual ability to check whether it is sufficient to qualify them for successful study in the chosen field. The responsible authorities in the university choose the candidates who have passed the test, and success is considered essential, especially for the restricted study programs. zulassungsbeschränkte FächerNote that the test can be taken in English or German.


In the absence of evidence of passing the second study (high school diploma) or university from the country of origin because the person was forced to flee without being able to take his important papers, obtaining a good result in the exam (TestASIt is considered a prerequisite for admission to the university. Examples and samples of the tasks that are required of applicants during this exam can be found at And on the site, can find a Free exercise book in Arabic  An exercise book in German An exercise booklet in English. You can register for the exam on the It is also possible to know the amount to be paid for registering for an exam.


NoteParticipation is free for refugees, and they can register through the refugee option on the.

Where and how to find a suitable university?

On the higher education website Hochschulkompass, You can search for a suitable university, and you can find university ratings and ratings on the. websiteZeit CampusNearly 300 colleges and universities are rated by students and professors according to different criteria.

Note: If a person has fled to Germany and has a residence permit, he is usually not entitled to move during the first three years. However, the residence limitation requirement, the so-called (Wohnsitzzuweisung), if he started studying or training in another city. Therefore, the Immigration Office can be informed about study and relocation plans. The relevant immigration office can be found on the. and those who are still in the asylum procedure stage or have a tolerated stay” Duldung”, must comply with the applicable residence permit. This means that they cannot move due to study.


When and how can an application be submitted to universities?

The academic year in Germany is divided into two semesters: winter which begins in September/October, And the summer season which begins in February of each year. New people, usually have to start in the winter semester, as only a few study programs start in the summer semester. To start in the winter semester, applications must be submitted within the allotted period, which generally extends until June 31 of the same year. For those who graduated from high school in the same year, the application period usually extends up to 15 July. In the case of applying to start studying in the summer semester, it is usually possible to apply until 15 January.


For an application to the university, a certified copy of the university entrance qualification (secondary certificate or its equivalent) and the German language certificate according to the required level is required. Some colleges and study programs may require more papers and evidence, such as a training certificate.Praktikumszeugnis.” You can find out more about the rules and procedures applicable to the study program for which you are applying at the International Office ("Akademischen Auslandsamt") or the Student Affairs Office ("Studierendensekretariat") at the university in question.

To obtain a study complex, whether in a restricted study program. zulassungsbeschränkten” or unrestricted “zulassungsfreien”, an application must be submitted to the university. Many universities outsource the application process such as the uni-assist organization.

To find out if the university accepts applications directly or via uni-assist It can be found on the university’s website or through the international office.Akademischen Auslandsamt” or at the University’s Student Secretariat.

get up "Uni-assist collects documents, evaluates foreign certificates, informs the university about the application, and this service costs money. Knowing that until the 2019 winter semester, the uni-assist service was free for refugees. But they have had to pay since the summer semester of 2020. Those who wish to obtain a study seat in one of the restricted admission programs in Germanyzulassungsbeschränkten Studiengang”, must submit their application to the Stiftung für Hochschulzulassu (SFH).

NoteAfter obtaining the university’s approval and accepting the application, you must register at the university, what is calledImmartikulierenIt means that the registration has been officially registered at the university. If the person misses the deadline for registration, the seat at the university will be given to another applicant. Registration can be either by mail or in person at the student secretariat at the university, and the best way to register will be written in a letter The acceptance sent by the university There is also a list of documents that are required to be brought for registration, such as university entrance qualification (high school diploma or it's equivalent), personal identity card, health insurance certificate and German language studies certificates.

Getting rejected or missing the deadline for registration - what is the solution?

In the event of late registration or failure to obtain acceptance from the university in the course for which the application was submitted, an attempt can be made to obtain a study seat at the university through the so-called lottery. das Losverfahren.” In the lottery, faculties give places in study programs for which there are not enough applicants, and it is best to inquire directly at the student secretariat of the relevant university about the places available and the time limit for participation in the lottery.

Is it possible to obtain recognition of educational attainment from another country?

Yeah. Recognition of study or examination achievements acquired abroad can be obtained by the International Office.Akademisches Auslandsamt” or the University’s Student Secretariat “Studierendensekretariat.” Some of these educational achievements can be obtained directly there, but other documents must be sent to the so-called “Landesprüfungsamt” through the Student Affairs Office or the International Office at the university where inquiries can also be made. More about that.

If all the requirements and conditions of the study are not met - what can be done?

If the requirements or conditions for applying for university studies have not yet been met, or if we are not sure of the type of study we want to start, we can first register in the name of a guest student. Gasthörer” At the university, guest students are not ordinary students, so sometimes they have to ask permission from the teacher to attend lectures. To find out if they can participate in the exams - because this varies from one university to another - it is always better to take advice from the Amana office Students or the international office at the university, there you can learn more about it. But in general, it is not possible to graduate from the university as long as the person is a guest student, because the status of "guest student" is only a temporary solution.

Guest students do not have to apply for a study seat at the university, but they can register at the university easily and without any documents or evidence of educational attainment, and usually they have to pay a small fee.


To ensure a confirmed place to study at one of the universities, applications must be sent to several universities at the same time, and in the event of obtaining several approvals from different universities, in this case, a comparison can be made between them and the choice of the best university.

Explanatory video:


To prepare for studies at a German university, you can follow this free online course.

To find out deadlines to advance for university